> From: Deborah Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > iaamoac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > This is an old article, but it was still absolutely fascinating.
> >
> >     http://slate.msn.com/id/2060825
> >
> > This article was reprinted because the (cough,
> > cough) 9/11 Commission
> > has also concluded that NORAD dropped the ball on
> > 9/11.
>
> OK, I may be just dreadfully dense, but what does the
> "(cough, cough)" signify?  That you think the
> commission useless? Biased?  Or what?

According to our morning news, the 9/11 commission has
"conclusively established" that there was no link between
Saddam and Al Qaeda. Is this what you read from it, or is
that a misquote?

> Interesting read, BTW.
>
> Debbi

I think its pretty harsh on NORAD. Imagine the outcry
if they had shot down a civilian airliner, or caused it to
crash or "air-blast" and nothing had happened?

All very easy in hindsight, but its unrealistic to blame
them for not preventing 9/11 I think. Did any of us imagine
what was going to happen when we first heard about a plane being
hijacked?. I sure didn't.

As you said Debbie, I don't think people on planes are going
to sit around and let people with nail clippers hijack planes
any more, better to die trying (or perhaps get an over-vigorous manicure)
than let planes be used that way again. Things changed on 9/11,
I don't think we can use what we know now to judge what happened then.

Andrew