----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: The Founders on Separation of Church and State: Washington,
Adams, Franklin

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:46:05 -0400, JDG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> We've discussed this before.  "Creator" is ambiguous enough to be
> considered non-religious, IMO.

I'm sure that one can deconstruct it to mean anything, but the word
"creator" meant at the time "being who created."  I'm not really an
origional intent guy, but I think using the same mapping of combination of
letters onto ideas as they used at that time is really a good idea.  In
other words, it is clear from his writings that Jefferson was a Deist, not
an athiest or an agnostic. Man's rights were God given, in his mind.  He
considered religeous liberty important because he felt that organizations
did much more harm than good when they mucked around with the relationship
between man and God.

Dan M.