> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I think the key point is that in any war with current technology
there
> will be some non-combatant casualties. (This might not
> necessarily have
> been the case in ancient times in some situations, for example,
> conflicts between Hellenistic armies fighting formal
> battles.)

There battles might have taken place somewhere out on a plain where
there weren't a whole lot of civilians but there was still alot of
"rape and pillage" going on, wasn't there?  Wasn't that viewed as a
"right" of the conquering army?  A lot of civilians would die on the
losing side, maybe not during the battle but immediately after it.

 - jmh