Dan:

I think that your difficulty here is not registering the concept of
"objective evil."   An objective evil is one that cannot be justified by
circumstance.   Maybe this will sound tautological to you, but obviously if
there is a concept of "just war", than war cannot be an objective evil.

Another difficulty, and I am stretching my memory back to my elementary
theology lessons back in the day, is that an evil action requires "intent"
and "knowledge."   In regards to intent, this can be thought of as being
the difference between manslaughter and homicide.   Manslaughter is a sin,
but it isn't quite an objective evil (so far as I know.)    In regards to
knowledge, you can't commit an objective evil if you don't know that it is
wrong.   For example, doctors who perform abortions are automatically
excommunicated from the Catholic Church - but only if they know that
performing an abortion carries such a penalty.    (I probably won't let
myself be dragged into a discussion as to whether or not this is sensible
or not - I am simply decribing how it is.)

Anyhow, I don't think that anyone here seriously intends to argue that the
killing of combatants is an objective moral evil.   Indeed, the concept of
a "just war" requires that the killing of combatants, in at least some
circumstances, not be evil at all - but in fact be "just."

As for the killing of non-combatants, participants in a "just war" are not
supposed to intend to kill combatants.   Such killing is unavoidable, of
course, but that's life.   Nevertheless, there is no intent to *murder* there.

Finally, to close with another example of Catholic teaching that an
objectively evil act cannot be justified to prevent another objectively
evil act - Would one participate in a rape to save a life?    The Catholic
Church would argue that no, one should not... evil to prevent evil is still
evil.

In reality, all the Catholic Church is saying here is the simple moral
precept that "the ends do not justify the means."

I've just thought to do something that I should have done in the first
place, which is to provide original source material from the Catechism of
the Catholic Church:
  http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a4.htm#1751

This should explain the principles at work much better than my amateurish
attempts above.

JDG