On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:41:44 -0400, JDG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 12:01 PM 8/16/2004 -0500, Julia Randolph wrote:
> >On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:17:42 -0500, The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> <<http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--communioncontrove0812au
> >> g12,0,6656242.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire>>
> >>
> >> 8-year-old's first Holy Communion invalidated by Church
> >>
> >> By JOHN CURRAN
> >> Associated Press Writer
> >>
> >> August 12, 2004, 2:25 PM EDT
> >>
> >> BRIELLE, N.J. -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive
> >> disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion
> >> declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic
> >> doctrine.
> >>
> >> It isn't the first such communion controversy. In 2001, the family of a
> >> 5-year-old Natick, Mass., girl with the disease left the Catholic church
> >> after being denied permission to use a rice wafer.
> >
> >So much for Mark 10:14....
> >
> >( http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/Bible/Mark.html#10:14 )
>
> Julia, you should know better than to believe such Foolish prattlings.
> What The Fool conveniently left out is that communion can be distributed as
> either unleavened bread or as wine, and that *each* is considered to be
> fully the Body *and* Blood of Jesus Christ by the Catholic Church.

But what reason would be given for denying the use of non-wheat bread?

And does it have to be unleavened?  I know that unleavened bread was
used at the original event, but I've attended Eucharist services where
a loaf of real bread was used and torn up, mostly on church camping
trips.  Would this be forbidden to Catholics?  (I guess that in a
pinch, one could always go out and buy some matzo for the purpose,
yes?)

And I've attended a few Catholic masses, and based on my very limited
experience, pretty much nobody got the wine.  Did I just attend some
weird churches, or is this common?  And I've been to some
protestant-denomination churches where grape juice, not wine, was
used; is this allowable?  If not, what was done during Prohibition?
(I'm interested in finding out what sorts of alcohol was allowed and
under what circumstances during Prohibition; I know the government
allowed doctors to have whiskey for medicinal purposes, my grandfather
having been a doctor for the last part of Prohibition and having had
whiskey in his office to give patients when that was appropriate....)

> JDG - Perhaps The Fool should stick to posting about atheism, Maru, and
> leave the Catholicism posts to the Catholics.

He's entitled to an opinion.  And if you argue well, you may convince
others to take your side in a particular debate.

Me, I'm going to be somewhat cynical about the Vatican's attitude
towards children until there's some sort of apology from them
regarding the protection of pedophiles by the Catholic Church, but
that's not germane to this thread.