On Sat, 23 Aug 1980 14:46:27 -0500, Dan Minette
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I thought it was higher than that.

I was told at some point that to calculate "proof", you multiplied
%age alcohol by 2.  (The only bottle of anything I have handy that
lists "proof" bears this out, it being 30% alchohol and 60 proof.)

Now, my vanilla extract bottle doesn' t give that information, but my
bottle of peppermint extract is 89% alcohol, according to the label.
And someone who was interested in the question looked at a whole bunch
of labels and determined that a certain brand of wintergreen extract
had the highest alcohol content available, of everything in that
grocery store; it was over 90% alcohol.  So that would be over 180
proof, right?

And I believe that while some of the alcohol cooks out, not all of it does.

But if you're making a large batch of cookies with several pounds of
ingredients, and only a couple of tablespoons of vanilla extract, the
remaining alcohol will be quite diluted by the rest of the
ingredients.  (Adding vanilla extract to whipping cream before
whipping, instead of using sugar, will give you a higher alcohol
content, but still fairly negligible compared to the stuff it's in.
Vanilla extract is nice stuff, lends a good flavor to all sorts of
things.)

    Julia