On Aug 26, 2004, at 1:07 PM, Travis Edmunds wrote:

From: Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene space arguments are fine if you're discussing creatures with no clear sense of self-awareness or consequences for actions, such as bacteria or tobacco company attorneys. Once you install a sense of "I", things change.

Keep in mind, that a sense of "I" is limited entirely to the "I".

No; it actually predicts "you" -- by distinguishing oneself from others, others must logically spring into existence.

That is, I don't think you can have an "I" in a vacuum. This means that the presence of self-awareness, being almost by definition other-awareness as well, changes how an I-conscious being behaves. Gene-motivated actions aren't the sole deciding factor any more.

-- WthmO

This email is a work of fiction. Any similarity between its contents and any truth, entire or partial, is purely coincidental and should not be misconstrued.