JDG wrote:
> At 02:42 PM 8/19/2004 +0200 Jean-Marc Chaton wrote:
>>> To the best of my knowledge, that is not true.... only an ordained
>>> priest is capable of saying Mass in the Catholic Church.
>>>
>>> JDG
>>
>> I think everyone is able to christen everyone if no priest isn't
>> reachable.
>
> That is correct.   In fact, I believe that even an atheist can
> baptize! (in the most extreme circumstances, of course.)
>
> There is no requirement for a Baptism to occur in a Mass.

Talked to Father Patrick about both these subjects.
 He says that if there is any doubt about a dying persons status,
anyone can baptise.
Even Satan himself.

As far as the desert island scenario goes, when there is a definate
need anyone *could* say mass and celebrate communion and pass out a
substitute eucharist. People could even take turns at the role of
priest. Ther might be some question as to whether transubstatiation
actually occurs, but you would be avoiding the sin of missing mass and
your communion with God.

xponent
Built In Flexibility Maru
rob