> From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> The Fool wrote:
> >
> > > From: Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Shrub.

> > open
> > >
> > > Oh, I'd say it goes further than that. You seem to be
anti-pro-linux /
> > > open
> > > source and/or anti-anti-Microsoft. It seems to me that whenever
someone
> > > expresses a positive sentiment about an open-source program,
especially

> > > as
> > > an alternative to a proprietary Microsoft product, your ire gets
up.

> > Well some people go on and on about how terrible windows is and how
IE
> > crashes, and etc. and it's all bullshit.
> >
> > I've had my windows NT system up for more than a month without a
single
> > problem.  I have more than 80 IE instances open (queued up to read
when I
> > get a round tuit).  No problems, no viruses, no malware, no spam, no
> > popups, no etc.  And I still haven't used more than half of my RAM.
I've
> > several visual studios open, Visual basic, dozens of emails I haven't
> > responded to yet, winamp, and so much more and not a single problem.
> > I've only occasionally reached the hard OS limit on window handles
> > (12,000+).
>
> How much memory do you have, and what other programs besides the IE
> windows do you have running?
>
> I'm running into problems (which I suspect have to do with someone
> having grossly underestimated my memory needs a little over 3 years
> ago), and would like some sort of reality check on what I should be
able
> to do with what I have, and what I need to be able to do what I want to
> do.

512 MB. 500mhz.

Email program.
Notepad x 5.
explorer x 3
email reply windows x 14
microsoft word
proxomitron
webwasher
taskmanager
firewall
cookiemanager
distributed.net client
visual basic
visual c++
winamp
Norton Protect
Directcd

The hard limit on window handles is a worse limit than memory constraints
(1GB with page files).  Since I last restarted I have not used all of my
physical memory.  I could for instance load a multiple hundred megabyte
soundfont into memory for use with playing midi files.