On 9 Sep 2004, at 7:44 pm, Julia Thompson wrote:
The thing about Windows is that there are a number of apps available
only on that platform, and if you're going to be using one of those
(AutoCAD, frex), that basically dictates your OS.

Perhaps. OTOH more often one needs to solve a particular problem rather than run a particular program. For CAD on the Mac there are VectorWorks, ArchiCAD and many others. If there is really just one program on any platform that will do then it isn't getting enough competition!

And yes, there are quite a few apps that aren't getting enough competition - Photoshop, Office, maybe Dreamweaver ... all cross-platform (Mac and Windows at any rate) programs. Porting to every OS is the best way of killing all present and future competition.

Look what happened when Microsoft decided not to port Access to Mac OS. That allowed Filemaker to thrive unopposed on the Mac and then to emerge as a strong #2 on Windows as well.

I'm probably going to be getting a new computer before the end of the year, and I'm wondering how many of the apps I use (and if all of the apps I use frequently) are available for some other OS that can be put on a Dell machine (because that's where I think it'll be coming from).

Wouldn't it make more sense to choose an OS first and then pick hardware that would be good for running it?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Invest in a company any idiot can run because sooner or later any idiot is going to run it." - Warren Buffet