Gautam, et al,

WalMart is (for example) according to a McKinsey
study, responsible for (I believe) _20%_ of the growth
in US productivity in the 1990s.  Not WalMart and its
competitors.  Just WalMart all by itself.

As if growth in productivity was necessarily an unalloyed good. There are plenty of ways to measure and achieve increases in per-worker productivity, including holding down wages and laying people off.

I realize, of course, that the /only/ way that anyone can
have a (regular work-for-a-company) job is for there to be
a company to hire them, but I don't get the equation of
increased productivity with tasty labor goodness.

Expecting the brilliant economists and titans of industry
on this list to straighten me out, I remain

sincerely yours,

Dave