At 06:19 PM 9/18/2004 -0500 Dan Minette wrote:
> We also need to determine
>why the job growth since the mid-70s has slowed so much, even though the
>productivity growth has been about the same as between 1960-75.

Off the top of my head, this doesn't seem right.   I know that jobs have
increased greatly since the early 1970's as we have increased our female
labor force participation rate.

I am also pretty sure that productivity has been increased at a pretty
strong pace lately.

>Oh, and a study that was paid for by Wal-Mart said this that 90% of
>Wal-Mart employees had insurance _from some source_.  That included
>insurance that is provided by spouses, parents,  & insurance that came with
>retirement, etc.

I think the latter is one of the secrets to Wal-Marts success - hire
retirees with Medicare and you don't have to pay them insurance.

JDG