On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 03:22:45PM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:

> If anyone sees a mistake in my reasoning, please tell me.  While I
> don't like being mistaken, its better to be corrected than to stay
> mistaken.

Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not familiar with the details of how
they calculate the capital. One of these days I am going to have to dig
into the NIPA's (national income and product accounts) and see how they
account for everything.

Another thing worth keeping in mind (although I don't think it affects
the data you looked at since it starts in 2003) is that recently
there have been incentives given to business to expense capital and
accelerate the depreciation on it (to encourage investment). It could
be interesting to see if this is discernible in the total fixed assets
account of the NIPA's.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/