> From: Erik Reuter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> I was wondering if the public may have been clever enough to have been
>> a bit mischievous during the polling, by making it appear closer, they
>> may well have squeezed another billion or two out of our formerly stingy PM,

> Before I were to consider this rather unlikely possibility, I
> would first consider the possibility that the election was rigged.

So, some random poll, of a few thousand, probably completely disinterested
voters, in the middle of cooking dinner or watching the news, has more
credibility than the national elections?

Geez, you may run some hokey elections over there, but it's a serious and
professionally run business here.

What is the incentive for people to be truthful in polls? Even if they did
know who they were going to vote for, why should they tell the truth?
The election, they have to live with the outcome, the polls, well, who
gives a damn, lets scare the government a little. The people know the
politicians read the newspapers.

Polls aren't like rainfall stats or surveys of kids heights, the data is not
reliable and not related to what you are trying to predict. All it tells
you is what people said in that poll. From it one may be able to  draw inferences
about their probable voting intentions, and perhaps note trends, but nothing
absolute, nothing with any certainty.

The only poll with sufficient sample size and with the required degree of motivation
towards voter honesty is the one on election day.

I would first consider the possibility that the electorate is a lot smarter
than you give them credit for, and that data from election polls is not fit for
statistical analysis.

Andrew