At 08:24 AM 10/21/2004 -0500 Horn, John wrote:
>I don't know.  In another thread, there is a discussion of whether
>NASA is in trouble because they are relying on a limited number of
>suppliers.  That certainly isn't because of cost reduction issues at
>NASA, I don't believe.  I think this has more to do with the second
>part of your email: the government buys most of the vaccine.
>Wouldn't that make for limited suppliers as there isn't much
>competition for buyers, regardless of price?

Not necessarily.   There is no reason for the government to buy all of its
supply from one place, as it does not appear that flu vaccine production
has irresistable economies of scale.

I think this blog does a good analysis of what is going on here:
  http://cafehayek.typepad.com/hayek/2004/10/the_cause_of_th.html

JDG