On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 11:58:12AM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:

> The source for my numbers is:
>
> http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy05/hist.html

Very interesting data, Dan. Thanks for posting the link. I graphed
it here:

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/budget.png

A couple things that jumped out at me while staring at the graph. Around
both World Wars, government outlays spiked (as expected), and we ran
a deficit. But government income also spiked. So taxpayers were asked
to help pay for the war, as David mentioned. But in 2001-2004, outlays
spiked BUT income dropped, just as David pointed out.

The other thing I thought was interesting may not be apparent to people
who aren't into stock market history. So, to give some very brief
background, most market historians divide stock market history into
"secular bear" and "secular bull" markets (secular in the sense of an
"age" or long period of time). Generally, the last 80 or so years are
classified as follows:

  1921-1929 secular bull
  1929-1949 secular bear
  1949-1966 secular bull
  1966-1982 secular bear
  1982-2000 secular bull
  2000-???? secular bear?

I think it is interesting to look at the graph

  http://erikreuter.net/econ/budget.png

and see that government outlays, as a percent of GDP, were generally:

  decreasing from 1919 to 1929
  increasing from 1929 to 1953
  slightly decreasing from 1953 to 1965
  increasing from 1965 to 1982
  decreasing from 1982 to 2000
  increasing from 2000 to 2004

The correlation between long term trends of government spending as
a percent of GDP and stock market performance looks very strong.
Increasing government spending seems to go along with secular bear
markets and decreasing government spending correlates with secular bull
markets.

I don't know what the causality is here (which one causes the other?
or are they both caused by some other variable?), but I think the
correlation is interesting.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/