JDG said:

> Strangely?   Catholics basically founded the science of genetics a
> long time ago to name but one example....

I see that David has already responded to this, but I thought I would
repost my response to your last email claiming that Catholics invented
genetics in case you never read it the first time:

For all practical purposes, genetics was discovered in 1900 by the
botanists Hugo de Vries (at the University of Amsterdam), Carl Correns
(at the Wilhem Institute for Biology in Berlin) and Erich von Tschermak
(in Vienna). We all know of Gregor Mendel because scientists are very
good at acknowledging pioneers, no matter how obscure they were. Which
is not to say that Mendel wasn't an excellent scientist; and he was
certainly supported in his studies by the Church, at least until he was
promoted and had no time for science. I don't suppose anyone in
positions of ecclesiastical power realised that he'd come up with one
of the most important and potentially far-reaching ideas to come out of
the whole history of the Church!  (Although the scientists of the time
didn't do much better: Darwin himself had done experiments very much
along the lines of Mendel's and even discussed them with Wallace
without realising that he'd found the missing piece of the evolutionary
synthesis, which is especially sad as he knew that there had to be some
kind of particulate inheritance or else evolution wouldn't work.)

Rich