At 23-10-04 19:45, JDG wrote:

Well, Bush's first act in office was to stop the practice of spending my
federal tax dollars for abortions overseas.   He also has consistently
appointed judges who do not find a right to an abortion in the penumbra of
the Constitution.

That hardly comes as a surprise. One of the sad things about the US is that you must have voted for a President if you want to be appointed judge by that same President.

He also has championed the partial-birth abortion ban,
and would assuredly sign a parental/judicial notification bill, a mandatory
waiting period bill, and a bill banning gender-selection abortions, if such
a bill were to ever make it through Congress.   Both Bill Clinton and John
Kerry would veto such bills, nor would either appoint judges who would
correctly read the Constitution on this point.

Of course they would! You support a certain interpretation of the Constitution because you believe that interpretation to be correct. Clinton and Kerry may and probably will support a different interpretation because they will believe *that* interpretation to be correct. Considering that a candidate's political colour is a deciding factor in appointing judges, Clinton and Kerry would always appoint judges that in their opinion correctly read the Constitution on this point.

Actually Dr. Brin, my position on human life has the advantage of being
non-arbitrary - it is based on hard biological factors.   I believe that
this is in contrast to most pro-choice individuals' positions on abortion,
which tend to be based on some arbitrary point or characteristic.

I'd hardly call "moment of birth" an arbitrary point.

>(Ignore the fact that God Himself, through
>"spontaneous" abortions, edits out a majority of
>conceptions.  A hint right there.)

I would respond to the above statement, but I know that even you don't
believe it.   God doesn't cause miscarriages any more than he causes
hurricanes to whack Republican-voting counties.   ;-)

Aw, c'mon John, you know better than that! The GOP (God's Own Party) only won because the election results in Florida were massaged and because the Supreme Court wasn't exactly impartial. And now, in an election year, there are a number of hurricanes in that same state. It's just to coincidental to be a coincidence. Certainly it must be a warning from God Himself to play by the rules this time! :)

Those hurricanes are just a warning. Wait and see what will happen when God unleashes His wrath on America if the Republicans fraud their way to victory again.