----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 3:22 AM
Subject: Re: From the Guardian

> > >  Yes, I'd say that was classic libertarianism. This is of course very
> > > different to the sense in which the Culture list is strongly
> > > libertarian.
> >
> > OK, how can one be libertarian and believe in strong government
> > intervention in the lives of individuals?  The 2-D cross-plot that was
> > attached to that list is based on a survey that studiously ignores many
> > reasonable questions about government interference in individual lives.
In
> > other words, having the government interfere in individual lives when
one
> > thinks its a good idea and not interfering when one doesn't think so is
not
> > libertarian.
>
>  So what your saying is you have a problem with the methodology of
> Political Compass* therefore the Culture list suffers from cognitive
> dissonance. Unsurprisingly I don't find this very compelling.
>
>  Either you accept the Political Compass contention that an axis of
> civil libertarianism exists seperate from economic libertarianism and
> the list is libertarian or you don't accept it in which case the list
> is not libertarian. I think the fromer, you think the latter but in
> both cases your strawman charge of cognitive dissonance dissappears.

Well, I obtained my understanding of the 2-D compass from the site:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Let me quote:

<quote>
Both an economic dimension and a social dimension are important factors for
a proper political analysis. By adding the social dimension you can show
that Stalin was an authoritarian leftist (i.e. the state is more important
than the individual) and that Gandhi, believing in the supreme value of
each individual, is a liberal leftist. While the former involves
state-imposed arbitrary collectivism in the extreme top left, on the
extreme bottom left is voluntary collectivism at regional level, with no
state involved. Hundreds of such anarchist communities existed in Spain
during the civil war period
<end quote>

OK, this differentiation makes sense to me.  Economic left-right is whether
you believe in individual based or collective based economy, and
libertarian/authoritarian is whether you believe that people's actions
should be voluntary or controlled by the government.  I even have had
considerable experience with a voluntary collective.  My college was run by
the largest individual community in a voluntary collective that has been in
existence for 1500 years.  I've talked with the monks about their
community, and I have a decent feel for the type of discipline that is
required for a voluntary collective.

Then I go and look at the plot of various Culturenicks on the 2D compass,
and compare it with their stated positions on a number of things, and do
not see their position on the plot reflecting a differentiation between
Stalin's and Gandhi's economic position.  Not that they are with Stalin,
but they certainly favor many aspects of an involuntary collective.

The main form of libertarianism that I see in Culture is a distrust of
government actions in the world, a favoring of looser laws concerning
drugs, sex, abortion, drinking, and speeding.  Considerable governmental
control on the economic activities of others are favored.  A
libertarian/authoritarian score in the middle sounds about right, instead
it is near the bottom.

There is the dissonance.  Voluntary collectives can and do exist.
Historically, they require a profound shared belief (monasteries, kibbutz',
the Pilgrims), which is the source for the tremendous discipline that is
required.  If people believe that such collectives can eventually spring up
naturally, then I consider them dreamers.  People who claim to be
libertarians who favor strong government control of the economy (civil
axis) have, IMHO, a cognitive dissonance.

Dan M.