[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 05:03 PM 26/10/04 -0700, you wrote:

Hidey-ho. New (digest) list member here. Chad Underkoffler --
pleezedtameetcha.

I have a question,

snip

The second thing I'd like to discuss is "Is tolerance a
positive, negative, or neutral meme?" and "Can tolerance be
abused, or is it currently being abused, in our society?"

As I just posted to the memetics list, I think tolerance and other rational type memes are features of unstressed societies, ones with rising income per capita and a rosy future.

Stressed human societies, where the future looks bleak, lose tolerance memes in preparation for the warriors of the society killing some alien tribe or internal identifiable group.

Dire business.

If model is correct, then it provides a science based reason to put shoes on the women (i.e., empower them and be sure they have the technology to limit the number of children they have).

Maybe increase in education would accomplish the same? When there is more education usually population numbers go down. Another nice side effect of education is that there usually is an increase in wealth. Not sure the men would be happy though. It would severely limit their powers.

Sonja
GCU: Prosperity and education go hand in hand