Russell Chapman wrote:

I don't know how wide the bikepath on the bridge is, or how cold the Golden Gate gets in January, but I'd hate to get started and find myself clinging to a pole somewhere in an attack of vertigo. Should I plan on a nice drive instead?

I don't think it'll bother you. The bridge is pretty darn big and very solid. As I recall, you can't see down very well unless you really get yourself against the edge of the sidewalk. The path isn't especially wide... in fact, you're supposed to get off your bike and walk it around the towers because it becomes quite narrow. Looking up at the towers from the deck right there can give you vertigo, I suspect.

Coldness is a much bigger issue, in my mind (it'll be winter here, you know). It can be quite cold and damp in the middle of the summer. The wind channels right through the Golden Gate, bringing fog. The temperature is rarely lower than the mid-40s (F, of course), but combine that with wind and wetness... welcome to Scotland, I guess. Oh, and crossing the bridge for fun is fairly pointless if it's foggy, since you won't see anything. Some January days are spectacular, though.

As for being in shape, if you're just doing the bridge and the park, no big deal, really. It's all fairly flat.

Nick