--- Ruben's right of course that my confederacy
metaphor is a stretch.  A piece of disreputable
polemic for which I really oughta not be proud... but
I'm nevertheless unashamed.

In fact, the plains and rockies states were Dangeous
Ground for the Union during the Civil War.  Troops and
governors kept mostly close to home because of
rampant, seething pockets of Confederate sympathies.

In any event, consider this.  Today HALF of the Senate
is elected by 16 percent of the voters, in rural
states.

Now it's not such a horrific political imbalance in
practice.  All four senators from the Dakotas are
progressive/conservative Democrats and farm bills are
largely bipartisan.

Still, is it really fair?