On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 10:24:21PM +1000, Russell Chapman wrote:

> This is becoming common at school canteens here (Parents get to say
> what categories of food kids can buy, or apply limits (eg 1 coke per
> day or whatever)), and they can't buy anything without swiping their
> student card...
>
> What I have learnt is that based on how easily the kids circumvent the
> system, real criminals and terrorists will have no problem at all....

Of course, for adults, it is an absurd idea as stated.

If there were ever a movement to make people accountable for their
"risky" behavior, a model already exists -- insurance premiums. Rather
than disallowing purchase of certain items, such a system would simply
track purchases, and the data would be available for setting health
insurance premiums based on the expense risk each individual poses to
the health-care system.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/