--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -------------
> YEAR  TURNOUT
> =============
> 1924  48.9%
> 1928  51.8%
> 1932  52.6%
> 1936  56.8%
> 1940  58.8%
> 1944  56.1%
> 1948  51.1%
> 1952  61.6%
> 1956  59.4%
> 1960  62.8%
> 1964  61.9%
> 1968  60.9%
> 1972  55.2%  (voting age lowered to 18 in 1971)
> 1976  53.5%
> 1980  52.6%
> 1984  53.1%
> 1988  50.1%
> 1992  55.2%
> 1996  49.0%
> 2000  51.0%
> -------------
> 2004    60%

> Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/

Thank you, Erik.  I was looking for this, but unable
to find it at 1:00am last night.  I appreciate your
efforts.  Scanning through the table I note that years
of economic hardship (e.g., The Great Depression) see
extraordinary turnout rates - 57-58% in some cases.
Years when we were at war (1944, 1968, 1972) also see
extremely high turnout.  Years when things were going
great (1924, 1948, 1988, 1996, 2000) see low turnout.
I'm a little surprised by how low it was in 1932 - but
it wouldn't shock me if that was a combination of
measurement error and the fact that Hoover might as
well have conceded before the election.  With that
exception (and it isn't much of an exception - turnout
was still almost 53%) it couldn't match up more
perfectly.

Warren - the reason I tend to rely on my memory for
postings on list is because I do this for a living.  I
get paid exceedingly tiny sums of money to think about
politics, and that involves an awful lot of time spent
burrowing through historical archives and back-issues
of International Security.  Doing the same for the
list would be a lot like work.  Erik is quite correct
in saying that I rely on memory more than I should on
list, but I like to think (and I'm glad he feels this
way) that in 7 or so years on the list my memory
(mainly because, again, this is what I spend pretty
much all of my time on) tends to be okay on these
topics.  I don't ask Dan to cite the paper that
describes the double-slit experiment every time he
talks about it for the same reason.  If (as both Dan
and Erik have done on more than one occasion) you can
come up with evidence that my memory is wrong, I'm
happy to hear about it.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]