--- Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Disagree. The reason the Allies folded at Munich
> IMHO was because they
> looked at WWI and saw themselves as being TOO EAGER
> to go to war. If you
> recall everyone was mobilizing their armies and
> marching towards the front,
> with the words "home by Christmas" on their lips. In
> the arena of European
> politics, the Allies had to ask themselves: is a
> 2nd, possibly catastrophic
> war with Germany worth the Sudetenland and the
> Czechs? Appeasing the
> Germans pre-WWI had nothing to do with it, IMHO.

I don't think so.  Have you read the Eyre Crow
memorandum?  I think it's probably the best outline of
the Allied vision of international politics before
WWI.  Crowe comments on how consistently the British
folded whenever the Germans challenged them - giving
up colonial concessions in Africa, for example, over
and over again, precisely because they _wanted_ to
avoid war.  The Germans were arguably eager for war,
but I don't think that's a fair assessment of the
British, French, or (maybe) Russians.

At any rate, I don't quite see how we were
disagreeing.  My whole point was that the Allies
thought they had been _insufficiently_ eager to
appease the Germans before WWI, and that this was the
cause of WWI.  So they decided not to make the same
mistake again, and chose to appease Germany before the
Second World War.  Now, they were operating under this
misapprehension because the German War Guilt Office
had carefully tricked everyone about the way the
Germans were acting before the war.  More on that in
response to your second point below.

> >Revelations from the German archives show that this
> >was an entirely incorrect interpretation, btw.
>
> Certainly true. When the Germans marched into the
> Ruhr and the Rhine river
> valley, they had orders to turn tail and run at any
> sign of a counter from
> the West. The French certainly blinked in this
> situation.
>
> Damon.

Yes, this is true, but I think I must have been
unclear.  Everyone agrees that the French screwed up
by not challenging the Germans over the Ruhr and
Rhine.  My point is that the French and British did
_not_ cause _WWI_ by failing to conciliate the Germans
before the war.  The Germans were incredibly
aggressive.  Obviously this is debatable (I've spent
the last four weeks debating it) but it seems to me
that the clear preponderance of the evidence is that
the Germans were basically looking for a war.  They
thought that their window of opportunity to dominate
the continent was passing because of the rise of
Russian power, and they decided to seize the chance
when it arose.  Dale Copeland's book on the topic
makes the argument very well, I think.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]