John wrote:

Therfore, I do feel quite comfortable in saying that the comparison doesn't hold. After all, nobody here says "I'm personally opposed to killing
gays, but I don't want to impose my morality on other people by voting to
make killing gays illegal."

I see how you rationalize it John, but it doesn't hold water with me. If you don't allow partners to make medical decisions for each other, deny them visitation rights, contest and overrule their powers of attorney with great frequency; if you force homosexual couples to testify against each other in a court of law when heteros have the right to refuse testimony, then you are denying them "the full rights of humanity". Here's a good essay on the subject:

http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm

There really is no good reason to deny Gay people the same rights accorded heterosexuals, the reason we do comes down to xenophobia or as you stated it "they are not like us in some way."

--
Doug