Some spoilerspace for discussion of THE INCREDIBLES:

> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:20:47 -0600
> From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> So, what did you see that reminded you of Brin's essays?

Okay.

Two primary scenes, one secondary. Essays in mind are the Salon
essays on LotR and Star Wars, plus "Otherness."

SCENE 1: After Dash vs. his teacher, Helen and Dash are in the
car driving home. Helen says, "Everybody is special," then Dash
says, "Which is another way of saying no one is."

SCENE 2: Syndrome is monologing at the captured Mr. Incredible
about his plans vis-a-vis the Omnidroid. He says that when he
gets bored of heroing, he'll sell his inventions so that
everyone can be super. "And when everyone is super, no one will
be."

SCENE 3: Bob and Helen fighting over Dash's Grade 4
"graduation." Bob says, "They keep coming up with new ways to
celebrate mediocrity!"

Now, in the context of the movie, Scene 1 is intended to be
taken as true. However, Scene 2 is intended to be taken as
false. Why? (Scene 3 supports Scene 1, I think.)

I have some thoughts that when Syndrome is using the word
"super" he means "super-powered" -- note that during his
Incrediboy phase, he's talking about cool stuff and powers and
catchphrases, not helping people. Contrast Mr. Incredible's
actions before the wedding -- on a tear of do-gooding -- and
even during his underground days as Bob Parr, Insurance Guy.

He's a hero, through and through. Sure, he gets a thrill from
it. But he doesn't lord it over folks, doesn't necessarily think
he's better than them, or more fit to rule, or anything. Indeed,
in hero mode, he's incredibly (heh) inclusive in his
discussions, with a lot of use of "we" and "us" and whatnot.

I pose that Bob -- and the audience -- are meant to interpret
Syndrome's use of the word "super" as "super-hero," which is
what makes his statement to be taken as false.

Now, there's no arguing that the Incredibles are
fantastically-gifted, and that most people will never be able to
mimic their abilities. They are only held in check by their
morality and ethics. This is what related the movie to the SW
article Dr. Brin did. How is the Incredibles different, or is it
the same issue there?

The supers have government backing, like the Jedi. They have
abilities far beyond human, like the Jedi. They are -- at least
early on -- a law unto themselves. Yet they are different: they
back away from the public eye when the public no longer wants
them.

Additionally, and interesting thing: the non-powered guy here --
Syndrome -- is a genius of such a level as to create devices
more powerful than supers and also amass a gigantic fortune. He
is merely unlimited by any morality. Does that change the
"Jedi-read" above? Possibly.

Anywho, those are my thoughts and questions for the moment. Any
takers?

CU

=====
Chad Underkoffler [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** Atomic Sock Monkey Press [ http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com ] **
** Live Journal [ http://www.livejournal.com/users/chadu/ ] **
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -- Groucho Marx