----- Original Message -----
From: "JDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: Brin: Fact Check

> At 07:58 PM 11/9/2004 -0800 David Brin wrote:
> >> Uhh... Dr. Brin - by your standards, you are
> >> out-and-out *lying* here.
> >
> >[bleep]
> >

> > I said their support "plummeted".  I did not say whom
> >they voted for.
> >
> >They all know where their bread is buttered.  I used
> >them as EXTREMA!
> >
> >And ALL three expressed utter contempt for these
> >monsters.  Had they voted for Kerry, the quantum field
> >would probably have collapsed. It would be like Ted
> >Kennedy and Jesse Jackson waffling over whether to
> >support George Wallace.
> >
> >WHAT'S MORE, YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THAT IS WHAT I MEANT.
>
> Oh come on, Dr. Brin.   You have not hesitated to call me a liar on
dozens
> of occasions over the past few months for all sorts of ambiguous points .
> More importantly, you have also called President Bush and virtually every
> other public official a, quote, "liar" for saying that Iraq had WMD's -
> even though that is what almost every serious analyst very
whole-heartedly
> believed.    Now, you have done what could reasonably be described as
> exactly what you accused the Bush Administration of doing - creating a
very
> misleading impression - and I have teased you by turning your own
standards
> back around at you.
>
> Let's look at the relevant passage:
>
> >     EDUCATION................Bush.....vs 2000
> >     No High School (4%)......49%......+10
> >     H.S. Graduate (22%)......52%.......+3
> >     Some College (32%).......54%......+3
> >     College Graduate (26%)..52%.....+1
> >      Postgrad Study (16%).....44%......+0
> >
> >I would love to see these stats weighted and corrected for the
> >increased voter turnout.  Of course they would thus show a PLUMMET in
> >support from well-educated Americans.  Including, at the very top,
> >conservative intellectuals like George Will and William F. Buckley.
>
> It looks to me like you are talking about voting.   And you say that this
> "plummet" in voting would be "including.... conservative intellectuals
like
> Will and Buckley."    You have furthermore described Will, Buckley, and
> Buchanan as "defectors."   I can't imagine that you would consider having
> an intellectual disagreement with a President from one's own Party to be
> "defection" - to me, that term would be best applied to switching to
voting
> for the other Party.
>
>  You state that I knew well what you meant, but in fact I posted my
honest
> fair reading of the words you had plainly written.   And by the words you
> had written, it looked to me like you had gotten your facts wrong again.
>
> At any rate, "by your standards" that you have applied to the Bush
> Administration for calling them "liars" on the subject of WMD - an
> assessment Bill Clinton, John Kerry, and just about everyone else agreed
> [...]

And will you do that for the people on the list you called liars? (yea, I
know that doesn't include me...you've been very cordial towards me in these
discussions)   I know it can be lotsa fun to play fast and loose with the
technicality of words...especially when one is a talented wordsmith but
when someone turns your words around on you in order to tease you...it
makes sense to laugh at yourself when you are caught.  The key words are
"what you call a liar", of course,  which indicates that JDG does not mean
to actually call you a liar.

Dan M.