I was outraged to learn that Diebold won't allow any outsiders to look at the code programmed into their machines, claiming that it's "proprietary." I think that at the very least this should be challenged: the Diebold code should have independent oversight, just as a hand count has independent oversight. They can't claim that they have exclusive access to the vote-counting source code.

It's even more blatant given the revelation that Diebold has very strong Republican Party connections. How can anyone look at this ONE fact, and compare it to Monicagate, and not be enriled by the the hypocritical standards for the word "scandal"?

These machines are deliberately made in order to have no audit trail, no possibility of checking for error or fraud, and they were deliberately placed in heavily democratic counties.

Be proud of the Amaerika we are entering.

Oh...

An even better county-by-county portrayal of red-vs-blue America is given at CBS news at:
http://www.esri.com/industries/elections/graphics/results2004_lg.jpg

An article (at http://sfgate.com/cgi bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2004/11/12/notes111204.DTL) contends that this shows ALL of urban America voting blue. Too passionately expressed, since the exceptions of Dalla, Salt Lake, Phoenix, and Indianapolis all stand out. And the "shades of purple" maps remind us that democrats remain a disenfranchised 40% in much of rural America, while republicans were a large minority in all but the largest urban areas.

(Though my earlier point is that GOP voters are a FAR smaller minority in urban areas than they were during other elections. And from the "defections" it is clear that the GOP intelligencia AT BEST held its nose, and in many cases simply deserted.)

A closer look shows blue speckles in many rural college towns. Along with a fascinating trace of blue that tracks the lower Mississippi River and central Alabama. (A partisan view is at http://www.retrovsmetro.org/.)