On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 10:27:28PM -0600, Dan Minette wrote:

> From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:30:09PM -0600, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > One might argue that the "problems" are caused by cultural views,
> > that as long as prostitution is perceived as dirty or immoral,
> > that primarily people who have lots of other "problems", and
> > therefore are less concerned about the stigma, will participate in
> > prostitution.
>
> But, from a religious perspective, being abused is not immoral....only
> abusing is.  Even the most fundamentalists Christians we knew have
> expressed nothing but sympathy for Teri's abuse.  So, the religious
> stigma for abuse is lower than it is for voluntary premarital sex.

But, from an ornithology perspective, bluebirds are blue.

> >In other words, perhaps a good way to eliminate the "problems"
> >of prostitution is to eradicate religion(s) which teach that
> >prostitution is immoral?
>
> So, using people as things is moral to you?

All people interact with other people every day without carefully
considering their feelings. Only a small fraction of personal
interactions that occur every day are intimate.

> My problem with sex work is a lot more from a feminist perspective
> than from a religious perspective.  The foundation of my viewpoints
> on what makes things right and wrong in sex is that one should treat
> other people as people, not objects.

People can make choices. Including female people.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/