----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Pensinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: More hypocrisy on display than skin

> Dan wrote:
>
> > It is a different, related question.  There is a hypothesis that
clearly
> > fits the data, including comments by sex workers.  Women who feel that
> > they already are in a degraded state with regards to sex are much more
> > likely to take a job that is inherently degrading.
>
> So if that's the case, how does criminalizing the effect (prostitution)
> help eliminate the cause (sexual abuse)?

I never said it did.  The point I've been arguing for all along is that
prostitution is not a healthy sexual relationship.  I'll agree that
arresting prostitutes does not constitute helping them.  Helping them would
include things like making it easier to choose to leave a pimp without
violence, helping with drug addictions, psychotherapy, job training for
other work, etc.

In short, I'd consider prostitutes women who are in a bad place in their
lives, not women who should be considered criminal.

Dan M.