On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:54:15PM -0200, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

> The problem: Natalia had to answer a question that was more or
> less like this: 4 friends travelled and one remained in Rio de
> Janeiro. They measured the air pressure, and got Adriana: 77 cm
> Hg (sic), Beatriz: 76 cm Hg, Carla: 75 cm Hg, Daniela: 65 cm Hg,
> Emilia: 84 cm Hg (sic). Which one remained in Rio?
>
> The desired answer was Beatriz, but she answered Adriana. And I want
> to prove that Rio has _more_ days with 77 than 76 cm Hg :-)

That's an odd question as written. Was there any information about where
they traveled to? Also, I'm not familiar with the geography of Rio. I
know it has beaches, but are there also some high areas (I remember some
pictures, but not sure if it was Rio)? Did 3 of the choices really go
75cm, 76cm, 77cm, that close together? The textbooks give 760mmHg as
standard pressure at sea-level (but of course it varies), is that what
they were getting at? If so, that isn't a very good science question,
more of rote learning.

Can you give some more details about this test?

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/