On Nov 27, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Maru wrote:

Warren, isn't restoring those lacking charactersitics the whole
point of Uplift? After a good amount of progress on Uplifting the
chimps, they would be near indistinguishable as far as that went.

That's an interesting way to see it, sure -- but initially one would see clear differences, I'd imagine.

Also, I don't know if I'd say that Uplift is the process of restoring so much as granting. And the definition of lack is pretty relative, IIRC; the Uplift sextet seemed to be partly about how patron species *messed up* their clients (at least from our point of view)...

But yeah, it's possible that after a few centuries of careful adjustment it would be pretty hard to tell us from chimps. (Interestingly I imagine the scale in reverse would be equally easy to achieve -- a few centuries of carelessness and we're basically back in the trees. ;)

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf