> I've just installed a new HD in my new computer. The first
> time I booted, the computer didn't, because it seemed that
> there were no HDs. Then I reopened it [a dangerous
> experience, because now I can't close it] and removed one
> jumper. Now it boots and it seems to run like before, but it
> recognizes no new hardware.
> What idiocy am I doing?
> Alberto Monteiro

Depending on the age and brand of motherboard, and depending on which
direction the wind is blowing, you may have to go into bios at boot up and
tell bios to autodetect the drive.  If you are not sure, you can probably
get into bios by pressing the "delete" key or "F2" at the very beginning of
the boot process. There should be instructions on your screen (probably very
briefly - like 1 or 2 seconds) and which key to press to enter bios.

Once in bios, there should be a choice something like "Autodetect IDE
Devices" or "IDE Setup" or something like that. I typically set the
different drives to "Autodetect".

Not sure how experienced you are with computers, so I apologize if I told
you something that you were already aware of :-)

Hope this was helpful.

Gary