--- "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A former Israeli paratrooper told me many years ago
> that he thought
> the US supported Israel because it was an
> `unsinkable aircraft
> carrier' in a part of the world which provides much
> oil.
>
> (A consequence of this theory is that the
> establishment of secure US
> military bases along the Gulf coast and in Iraq will
> eventually lead
> to a decline in US support for Israel.  This
> consequence is diminished
> if it is felt that Israelis will fight for their own
> purposes, but
> that the results will help the US at lower cost to
> the US than having
> the US do the fighting.)
>
> Past reason to support Taiwan was that mainland
> China was a US enemy.
> It is only a generation or so ago that the US made
> an (unwritten)
> alliance with mainland China against the Soviet
> Union.  Currently,
> some think of mainland China as a possible future
> enemy of the US.
> Others think of it as a huge market or as a source
> of cheap labor.
>
> In any event, mainland China is printing money (or
> more accurately,
> adding zeros to computer accounts) to purchase US
> government debt.
>
> Thus, support of another `unsinkable aircraft
> carrier' helps if you
> are more concerned with danger; abandonment of
> Taiwan helps if you are
> more concerned about big markets, cheap labor, and
> funding the US
> government and trade deficits.
>
> In both cases, these provide `plausible stories'
> regarding the US
> national interest without bringing in the question
> of democracy.

Not at all.  Both of those are very far from
plausible.  You need simply ask - how much did the US
use that "unsinkable aircraft carrier" in any of its
numberless conflicts in the Gulf?  Not at all - it was
a liability, in fact, every single time.  The United
States does, in fact, have effectively unsinkable
aircraft carriers.  They are _actual_ aircraft
carriers, which no Arab country even approaches the
capacity to sink.  We have 12 of them.  There are also
quite a few other countries in the Gulf which we
operate out of already (Qatar, for example) and which
would be much easier to work with if we weren't tied
to Israel.

In the case of Taiwan the situation is similar.  We
would need some scenario in which we wished to
actively attack China, could not use our bases in (for
example) Japan, and could not rapidly negotiate
agreements with another bordering state (i.e., the
Philippines).  Something that has not historically
been difficult for the US, and would probably not be
in any conceivable situation where we would want to be
using air power against China.  To argue that it is
somehow in our national interest (narrowly construed)
to make a conflict with China much more likely in
exchange for bases of marginal (at best) utility makes
no sense.  Indeed, the only likely scenario in which
we would go to war with China is over Taiwan.  To go
to war with China for basing rights in a country where
the bases would only be useful if we went to war with
China is, as Bismarck famously said about preventive
war, "to commit suicide for fear of death."

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"