On Dec 20, 2004, at 2:30 PM, Damon Agretto wrote:

Makes me think that, just a few years down the road,
Asimo will be to
robots what the gramophone is to the iPod. (Want to
bet the world's
militaries are following all this development with
intense interest?)

IIRC the military can already make something similar to a battlesuit. Making something like giant mechs (which is what I'm wondering you're referring to?) is impractical since they would have such a high silhouette in order to carry a useful warload, and still have as good (if not better) maneuverability as a conventional tank.

No -- actually I was thinking of Asimo-sized remote controlled assault troops, sort of like how they do now with ROVs to scout terrain. Only these guys could carry small weapons as well and snipe the enemy while still being more or less expendable.

Cannon fodder that doesn't care about being shot. With a nice self-destruct to blow itself and any captors up.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf