Gautam wrote (quite a while ago):

Popularity doesn't have anything to do with it.

Except when it does, as you say below.

No, I don't. To wit, if you are the C.O. of a ship at sea, someone who supposedly has absolute power, and there are members of your crew that you don't like but whom are important to the operation of the ship, the best way to deal with your animosity is to supress it and form the necessary working relationship with those individuals. This isn't a matter of popularity, it's a matter of practicality.

You do of course have the option of wielding your power and belittling and intimidating the people you don't like or disagree with, but this is pretty much the definition of poor leadership.

You made some pretty good points in the remainder of your post, but didn't really address the bottom line; how likely is it that using a go-it-alone attitude that we can wage a successful war against terrorism?

--
Doug