----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: Is environmentalism dead?

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:50:11 -0500, maru dubshinki
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In the last paragraph, you meant 'did not' right?
>
> Sigh, yes,  I write and hit enter.
>
> > But don't give up hope.  The Kyoto protocol still passed.  People are
> > still aware of enviromental problems (despite crappy propaganda like
> > Crichton's State of Fear'.),
> Kyoto is still being fought by those in charge in this country.
> Conservatives in this country believe Crichton.
> > and there is potential in the religious
> > right:  Didn't Genesis say we were put here to tend and care for the
Earth?

> Sorry, I wish.  The new religious right is waiting for the Rapture,
> they don't have to worry about those problems and feel those who do
> are mostly non-Christian tree-huggers.
> It often seems the new religious right is intent on making things
> worse to push forward the Rapture.
>
> I went to WalMart the other day.  Book section was filled with "last
> days" fiction and non-fiction including children's section. The small
> science fiction and fantasy section filled with TV and movie related
> and many copies of the latest volumes in that fantasy mega-volume
> Jordanousity.  At home was looking at the science fiction I really
> liked in the last two-three years that is cutting edge  - 75% was from
> outside the U.S.  The U.S. is not a forward looking society anymore.
> Even the fantasy I liked is coming from the UK.

Isn't it more that the US is looking forward in a direction different from
the one you would wish it to.  Compare the US to Europe, for example.
Europe is choosing to fade away instead of becoming multi-cultural.  Look
at the minority population in Germany, for example.  Its about the same as
it was 30 years ago.  The US will have, in about 50 years, Europeans as the
biggest minority, not the majority.

While the US farm policy is a bit backwards, Europe's and Japan's make it
look absolutely forward looking.  Europe has legislated away the
bioengineering industry, for example....because there might be problems.
When Neli came home, the first topic she discussed was the
counter-productive EU budget....doubling prices by paying French farmers to
work extremely inefficiently.

And, remember, the US is one of only 3 developed countries that are not
considered in deep doggie do-do over demographic changes.

Dan M.