Erik Reuter wrote:

Your stated choice is to do nothing now because it is only a "future
crisis".

Really? When and where did I state that as my choice? I can clearly recall saying that how we respond to an impending crisis is different from how we might react to a present one. Aren't you saying that I've argued that we only should react to present crises?

Interesting how you keep turning fundamental arguments into something
about Bush.

The administration and its language of crisis is what I have been talking about all along. No change.

I say that people who frame a possible future problem as a present-day crisis are not to be trusted. I'm not suggesting that everything they say is wrong, just that even when they say that x + y = 4, it is a good idea to double-check the math, especially when they imply that I'm irresponsible for failing to treat it as an immediate crisis. I have a pretty good idea of who's being irresponsible.

I'm happy to give Social Security the fixes it needs, and to increase my contributions if that's what is needed. But I'm not going to trust people who make their case with exaggerations and will look at your proposals with greater-than-usual skepticism for that reason.

Nick