> Legally speaking, this just sounds like a breach-of-contract
> case. If the contract had the provision that the farmer could
> save seed for replanting the next year, then there would be
> no problems. But I doubt that's the case.
> But I'm interested in hearing what your "on the other
> hand..." argument is...
> Damon.

You are absolutely right, legally it is a breach of contract, assuming that
the farmer knew exactly what he was agreeing to, and was very clear on the
limitations.  Assuming that the seed dealer even gave the farmer the
agreement, let alone made him understand it.

I am not unsympathetic with the fact that Monsanto spent millions of dollars
in research and development, I just think that fines in the millions of
dollars and jail time might be an overreaction.

Honestly, in this case, I am having a difficult time articulating what it is
that bothers me here, let alone make a solid argument against what they have
done.  It's just not sitting well with me.

> This doesn't mean Monsanto is in the right at large, however:
> suing farmers whose crops were contaminated by Monsanto
> products for royalties is just plain evil (which they have done).
> ~Maru

I am wondering what exactly they would (or could) do in cases of cross
pollination? Granted it is difficult to do this by accident, but it does
happen in adjoining fields occasionally. Suppose Field A is next to Field B
and cross pollination occurs and contaminates the non genetically altered
crops giving the non altered crops characteristics of the altered crops.
Would (or could) the seed manufacturer then demand payment? Slippery slope.