Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

> When I tried to copy the files from my old computer which died
> back in November onto this new computer by putting the hard
> drives** from the old one into this one in the secondary
> position, something strange and not-wonderful happened. The
> first one worked fine. The second one (the primary drive from
> the computer that died), though, b-i-g problem:  now, it, the
> secondary drive from that machine (with all my astronomy/teaching
> stuff and more), and the hard drive which came in this new
> machine all are considered "Unknown device" by this machine.

Are your master/slave/cable select jumpers set up correctly on
the drives? Also, is your power supply strong enough to power
all your drives?

> (2) the computer and everything associated with it (including
> the phone line) is plugged into a "power center" with surge
> protection which itself is plugged into a surge-protected
> power strip which is plugged into the wall, and AFAIK those
> surge protectors are working,

Are you getting enough juice through two surge protectors hooked
together to power your machine? Maybe try plugging your computer
into one surge protector, that's plugged directly into the wall.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com