* Robert J. Chassell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>     I'm about out of ideas without being there to poke at it.
>
> First, with only a working disk on the system, try booting using a
> Knoppix disk and see whether you can read the new hard drive.  If you
> cannot, this is a bad suggestion.  (However, I have been able to boot
> every Intel 386 and compatibles system with Knoppix for at least three
> years, so this procedure has worked for me.)
>
> Second, after changing to the troublesome disk (and making sure every
> jumper is the same, etc), try booting using the same Knoppix disk and
> see whether you can read the troublesome hard drive.

Good suggestion. I want to add: make sure you unplug the working drive
from its data cable and power cable and plug the drive-under-test into
the known working cables. (You may have already been doing this, but
just in case you were plugging/unplugging from the motherboard...)

Also, make sure that the cable connector is going into the drive in
the correct orientation. Some cheap cables are not keyed, and it is
possible to insert them backwards / upside down. Not all drives have
their connector in the same orientation.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/