In a message dated 2/1/2005 2:25:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> We do have evidence of societies which were officially anti-religious.
> Marxist societies have tried to stamp out religion for years.  We could
> contrast the attitude towards and the development of science in the Soviet
> Union and the United States for example.  We could look at which country
> made decisions based on irrational assumptions, and what the outcome of
> those decisions were.

But the difficulty is that the USSR made decisions on science based on
poltiical beliefs. Genetics did not fit with the communist philosophy and it
was
rejected. The issue is not whether a society is religous or not it is whether a
society and it members believe that they have the "truth".  So one must decide
what feature of a society one wishes to consider the indepent variable.