Warren Ockrassa wrote:

The ultimate source of these problems is at least partly a corruptible operating system. A class-action suit against Microsoft would go a long way toward addressing spam, since UNIX, Linux, BSD and Mac systems don't have these kinds of security issues.

I wish it were so... but we've had a Linux box hacked here (the server that run this list, which since then we've switched to Solaris) and there are various proxy servers that are vulnerable unless they're configured correctly. We got bitten by that one, using Squid to accelerate HTTP, not realizing that by default, it essentially had an open mail relay available. Spammers are very good at finding vulnerabilities on any OS.

The truth in what you say is that a properly configured Unix-ish system is more secure than a properly configured Windows machine. Unfortunately, there seems to be little shortage of misconfigured systems.

Nick