At 05:39 PM Monday 2/7/2005, Deborah Harrell wrote:
> Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ticia wrote:

> stings?

> >>I seem to recall that it might help with the pain
> from
> >>some type of marine sting...but I'll look into
> >>that another time.

> >It's the ammonia (= waste product), which helps
> against the sting/bite and
> >itching, not sure whether it's also an antiseptic
> (though pee is sterile
> >except for bladder/ urinary tract infections). They
> >also sell bite relief sticks with ammonia in them.

> Part of it is that insect venom in particular is
> acidic¹ and ammonium
> hydroxide (the compound formed when ammonia gas is
> dissolved in water) is a
> mild alkali and neutralizes the acid.
> _____
> Frex, the scientific name of a family of ants is
> "Formicidae" and ants
> inject formic acid (HCOOH), both words derived from
> "formica", the Latin word for "ant" . . .

While my diver friends swear by the 'urine fix' (if
you're hours out from shore/medical attention, you'll
do what you gotta...) for seabather's eruption
(jellyfish larvae stings), this site advises against
it:
http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/aa121164.asp

However, the above site does advise
"...If vinegar ["Soak a compress in vinegar and apply
to the affected area to prevent further stings"] is
not available, unseasoned meat tenderizer, baking
soda, or one-quarter-strength household ammonia may be
useful for treating jellyfish stings. Avoid getting
these products in your eyes. Meat tenderizer or baking
soda may be sprinkled directly onto the affected area
or made into a paste by adding water and then applied
to the skin. Apply meat tenderizer to the skin for no
longer than 15 minutes. Household ammonia may be used
as a compress and applied to the affected area..."

So both basic and acidic solutions are useful -- and I
have successfully used vinegar/water mix for sunburned
skin and baking soda paste on mild thermal burns
myself.

This site has info including diagrams and electron
micrographs of nematocysts, the stinging structures of
corals and jellyfish:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/rs/

And check out the acceleration of the triggered
nematocyst!
"...Under certain specific conditions, the most
exterior portion of the capsule may rupture, releasing
all of the internal contents. "Releasing" is much too
mild a word to describe this process, though. It is
not an exaggeration to refer to the contents as
"exploding" from the cell. When the capsular contents
are blown out, the internal thread is turned inside
out and exits the capsule. Generally, the tip of the
thread is hollow and the capsular contents will be
sprayed from the tip of the thread.

"It is impossible to watch the contents of the
capsules themselves as they exit the nematocyst.
However, the internal nematocyst thread may be filmed
as it leaves the capsule using ultrahigh-speed
photography, and is by no means easy to do. When it is
done properly, however, a timed record of nematocyst
discharge is available. From one such record, it was
estimated that the tip of the nematocyst thread is
forced out of the capsule at the astounding
acceleration of 40,000g! Even though the tip of the
thread is minute, with such acceleration driving it,
it can punch through almost all biological surfaces,
including some mollusk shells, arthropod exoskeletons,
and human skin..."

"...the cellular contents discharged by the nematocyst
may be anything from toxins to digestive or lytic
enzymes. Most of these materials are proteins..."

--which explains why both acidic and basic solutions
would affect these stings: degrading or denaturing the
protein toxin/enzyme.

Note that my explanation of how ammonia works specifically mentioned insect stings in which acid is a major component of the venom and is a major source of the irritation.

--Ronn! :)