From: Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Subject: Re: Enterprise Cancelled
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:05:32 -0700

From: Kevin Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It sounded like the plan
was to create an original film with new characters, set in the Trek
universe.

An original film with new characters...

Without a television series to enable the characters to truly take life, I'm not sure how the Trek crew could avoid a hollowed out husk of a movie. That is, if it's intended to be anything more than a mindless action film.

You haven't seen the last few Trek movies, have you? "Mindless action film" is a pretty good description for any one of them.

From the Briar Patch to Remus, mindless is an apt description, yes. The
sickening rehash of a prominent Search For Spock plot device notwithstanding - think, katra a la Data - mind you. Such desperate writing as that degrades the product even further.

But we were still dealing with temporally developed characters. Consequently, we the audience have certain character-specific expectations - i.e. the goosebumps a die-hard Trekkie/Trekker (the latter being my generation) gets when Kirk is laughing at the superior intellect of Khan whilst kicking the genetically engineered crap outta said bad guy. That's all I'm saying. A feature film with an entirely new cast of characters = no goosebumps.

-Travis "R.L. Stine" Edmunds

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.