On Feb 10, 2005, at 1:49 PM, kerri miller wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool to have a show where the cast changed every week
because it took them 14 generations to get to the next star system?

That might be a stretch for most viewers, but a multiple year arc a la B5 or possibly in the spirit of _Robotech_ might be intriguing. Season 1 is the departure; season 2 is the transition phase with a whole new cast (plus cameos from age-makeup'd season 1 oldsters); season 3 is the arrival, with another cast.

All 3 seasons would have plenty of room for adventure and lots of fun for set design as the once-pristine craft becomes aged, patched and takes on a lived-in look. And later seasons could have other cameos from the previous years in holographic avatar form or whatever -- recordings of earlier inhabitants used for reference or something. (My, I just realized I'm borrowing a little from Alastair Reynolds here, but I kind of like the idea.)

Season 4 could be the well-established colony launching another craft for the generational return to Earth, with some of the crewmembers, being the great-grands (etc.) of the originals, the same cast from the first season (family resemblance).

Hmm. Someone get someone on the phone. ;)

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf