maru wrote:

> "Since you must have known such a statement would not have
> been made and you refused or failed to do any primary research
> on this supposed quote, what was your motive in printing sSince
> you must have known such a statement would not have been made
> and you refused or failed to do any primary research on this
> supposed quote, what was your motive in printing such a
> damnable lie?"
> -from the first article.

> You know what they say about lies, damnable lies, and
> statistics. We've had entirely too much of the latter, so
> it seems rather appropriate now to get some of the former.
> And knowing the story is false is a little heartening.

Even though it wasn't true, it did spread pretty far. I remember
hearing about that exact fictional Watt speech back in high
school, when I dubbed that thinking "Jesus Christ, Garbageman."
Looking back, Janitor makes more sense. I believed it at the
time, because around then, I heard that actual thinking from one
of my sister's friends, who was quoting her preacher.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com