* Nick Arnett ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Exactly.  The asset change per year is simple -- revenue in minus
> costs and benefits out.  The fact that the federal government has some
> siphons attached to the cash flow spigot doesn't change the fact that
> this number has been increasing.  The latter is a political problem,
> not a financial one.

Amazing how someone so ignorant on the subject can make these sorts
of proclamations so confidently (I'ms still shaking my head over your
proclamation that future social security payments do not increase
faster than cost of living). If you would pull your head out of the
clouds and get your feet on the ground in REALITY instead of silly
airplane metaphors, you might actually realize that the number is
meaningless financially. As David Wessel wrote in the Wall Street
Journal, "The trust fund matters politically and legally. It does not
matter economically."

The problem is about money -- too much being paid to current generations
and the bill being shoved down the throat of future generations. Playing
around with numbers in a trust fund only confuses this simple financial
problem. Which, in case you missed it just now, is too much money going
to current generations and getting billed to future generations. The
numbers are clear. I posted the percentage of GDP in and out a few weeks
ago.

To quote David Wessel again, "The trust fund does not change reality.
The government has made health-care and retirement promises to today's
workers that it cannot keep without very steep increases in future
taxes."

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/