On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:50:00 -0600, Dan Minette
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

OK, Reagan had bipartisan support - the Democrats will not give Bush
bipartisan support because the one time he had it he screwed them.  On
the No Child Left Behind Act Democrats agreed to his plan because it
offered for financial incentives to raise school standards.  Three
months later his budget chopped off the incentives.

He had some but less support on the Medicare Drug bill even though
Democrats had always backed this. Most had learned the lesson on NCLB.
 Sure enough, by the time it was complete it was a huge costly
monstrosity with minimal drug benefits but loaded with financial
incentives to the GOP constituency - corporations.  Corporations
receive more of the money from this program than the people on
Medicare.

Now, would I support lower maximum benefits for Social Security?.  I
agree in principle, probably not in practice.  I also agree that
children should be receiving the same kind of program that Social
Security has provided for the elderly.  They don't because it is a
program administered like what you propose to do for Social Security -
benefits only to a certain underclass of people.  In Texas, where we
have the full manifestation of  Bush's GOP philosophy, we have the
highest number and the highest percentage of children without health
insurance and the state refuses to fully fund child health care
programs despite most of the cost being picked up by the federal
government.

So there is a big but here,  *But* I am  concerned that Social
Security has been successful because it had support from all classes
except the very rich and was not seen as a welfare program.  If you
limit it in the way you describe over time there will be more and more
support to cut it like all other benefit programs restricted to low
incomes have been cut.

I am also concerned that you may be misguided as to what a healthy
economic society can afford in social benefit programs.

There is a big step necessary to fix Social Security permanently,
provide a funding mechanism that changes with demographics.  That
funding mechanism would be funding from an estate tax.  Can you think
of another one?

A less important and not permanently viable solution might be trust
funds that are invested in higher rate of return investments.  That
would be the Clinton solution where as bonds in the trust fund mature
they are replaced with common stocks and bond investments.

The SSA has recently released a paper that shows if the wage cap on
the income subjected to FICA was erased Social Security meets their 75
year viability test.  It meets a longer viability test if benefits are
not increased for the income over $90,000.  Is that an acceptable
solution to you?

Gary D.

This was started early this morning then I had to help my father and
stepmother on SocSec and pensions move a new bed.  Then I had a call
from my nephew Ranger in Mosul who expects to come home in three weeks
and see his daughter for the first time.  Mosul is bad but better then
when they first arrived.  He says the entire Army is worn out and he
doesn't know why Bush is saber rattling at Iran and Syria. More
deployments will cause even more volunteers to leave. Also it appears
this is Vietnam all over again - the soldiers don't like and have no
respect for the Arabs.  They feel the best trained Iraqi special
forces compare unfavorably to US soldiers who wouldn't make it through
boot camp.  "This country is a dirty mess, we don't belong here but as
long as we don't trust anyone and treat them all as the enemy we lose
few people even if our treatment definitely doesn't make friends."